Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sounds from My Childhood


Since I was so young when the Blue Jays won the World Series in 1993, my memory of it is very fragmented. Some of my most vivid recollections of that night are auditory. The cheering, the screaming, the phone ringing off the hook, these were all part of the victory celebration that was occurring in our living room. It pains me to admit but it wasn't until years later that I heard Tom Cheek's immortal call of Joe Carter's home run; that night, I remember hearing Sean McDonough's call on CBS:

"Well-hit down the left field line, way back and gone! Joe Carter, with a three-run homer! The winners and still World Champions, the Toronto Blue Jays!"


I'll admit, this call was not as good as "Touch 'em all Joe". But of course, we can't choose our memories. My family wasn't listening to the radio that night, which is where one would have heard Tom Cheek's play-by-play.

Another sound bite from that night was the Coca-Cola commercial that was played immediately after the game. It was part of a series of Blue Jays related coke commercials that aired throughout the season.

I remember being very confused by this commercial. The Blue Jays had just won the World Series and already there was a commercial celebrating this achievement. How did Coca-Cola make this commercial so quickly? Or, even more intriguing, was it possible that the people at Coca-Cola knew beforehand that we were going to win?*



*Footnote: I think I eventually figured it out on my own. But this leads me to an interesting thought. Wouldn't it be awesome to find a vault full of commercials that were never aired because it got the result wrong? Along the same train of thought, you know those hats and t-shirts the players wear during on-field celebrations after their team has won? They explicitly say "WORLD CHAMPIONS" or something to that effect. I would love to get my hands on some of these never-released items. The one I would most want to have is a t-shirt that says "NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS - SUPERBOWL XLII CHAMPIONS!" ZING!

No comments:

Post a Comment